Important Links / Information


In recent months I have had a number of calls from our members requesting information on the “Paid Up For Life” program.   Hopefully the information below will answer a few of your questions and help you decide if you would like to become a Paid Up For Life (PUFL)member. 


What is a Paid-Up-For-Life Membership? It’s a membership you purchase with a lump sum or after 36 equal monthly Payments.    

Does Paid-Up-For-Life mean my insurance is paid up too? No. However, if you have American Legion Life Insurance, you won’t ever have to be concerned about your insurance being cancelled because you forget to pay your dues one year. You’re paid up for life. You still must pay your insurance premium when it is due.  

What about my subscription to The American Legion Magazine? It’s paid-up too, and you’ll continue to receive monthly issues for life.  

How do people know I’m paid up for life? Once the cost of your membership has been paid in full, you will receive a Permanent plastic card identifying you as a Paid-Up-For-Life Member. You will also receive an annual membership card each year, at no additional cost.  

Who is eligible? Any member in good standing (with dues paid for the current calendar year.)  

How much will it cost me? Your cost is based on two factors-your age and the amount of your post’s dues, at the time you purchase your Paid-Up-For-Life Membership See the rate table at the end of this article.  

Do I have to pay the full amount all at once? No. Now with our new time payment plan, the cost of a Paid-Up-For-Life Membership can be broken up in 36 easy, monthly payments.   

Is a Paid-Up-For-Life Member the same as a Life Member? No. A Paid-Up-For-Life Membership is purchased, while a Life Membership is honorary and provided by the member’s post  


A PUFL membership is based on two factors - the member’s age at the time of purchase and the total dues of the Post at the same time. The total dues of the Post include the department and national per capita and the amount of the annual dues retained by the post. The dues amount used to compute the cost may NOT be less than the sum of the department and national per capita combined.   Post 90’s dues are $40.00 a year.  

​ For more information follow the link below.

How to Request your Records

If you wish to obtain a copy of your military records all you need to do is send a letter to the appropriate address listed below. 

Air Force Personnel Center
550 C Street West suite 19
Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4721

Or call: 1-800-526-0102 

U.S. Army Human Resource Command
1600 Spearhead Division Ave.
Dept. 420
Fort Knox, KY 40122-542

Or call: 1-888-276-9472 

Headquarters U.S. Marine Corp
Attn: Personnel Management Support Branch. MMSB-10
2008 Elliot Road
Quantico, VA 2213-5030 

Or call: 1-8900-255-5082 

Navy Personnel Command
Attn: PERS-312E
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, Tenn. 380556-3120

Or call: 1-901-874-4885

If you are conducting research and are interested in personnel files that pre-date WWII, contact: 

National Archives & Records Administration
Attn: Old Military and Civil Records, NWCTB-Military
Textual Services Division
700 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.
Washington D.C. 20408-0001 
Or call: 1-866-325-7208 

How to get your medals

The easiest way to obtain those well-deserved medals that you earned while serving your country in the Armed Forces is to go on line at  

It may take as long as 3 or 4 months to get them, but you will get them.  You may also request your medals by following the steps below.  Obtain a Standard Form 180 (SF 180) available at  

Mail it to the appropriate address listed below. Be sure to fill out the Form SF180 as completely as possible. Service and Social Security Number must be included. If you no not have the information write “N/A” in the box, meaning that the information is not available.  Once your request has been processed, it will be forwarded to the facility from which the medals are mailed.  You will receive a response showing which medals were verified for Army and Air Force veterans. For Navy, Coast Guard and Marines, you will receive a referral letter from NPRC.  If you experience problems with the verification process, write to the address listed for your military service. To check the status of your request, you can email them at

Where to write: 

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138 

Air Force (including Army Air Corp and Army Air Forces)
National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138 

Navy, Marine Corp and Coast Guard
Navy Personnel Command
Liaison Office Room 350
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138