We will have a busy first part of month with activities:
1) The remains of Sergeant Bryan “Cooper” Mount will be returning to St. George, August 5th or 6th (soldier who was recently killed while serving in Syria). It is the desire of our city leaders to have as many citizens as possible lining the way and waving American flags as the motorcade approaches. The plan is to have Veteran groups and residents’ line up along Main Street from Bluff to St George Boulevard waving flags as the Police Department passes in a motorcade along with his family and friends from the airport to Bluff Street then down Main Street and end up at Metcalf Mortuary. PLEASE listen to the radio, public announcements and news for the actual time and date.
2) The first mailing for American Legion dues had a return date of August 3rd. The Early Bird (50% paid membership for Post 90) is September 10th. We are well on the way to making this first goal for paid memberships.
While talking to friends, family and strangers find out if they served in the Military and ask if they would like to join ONE of the Largest Service Organizations in the world. If you do not have an application with/on you get their name and phone number and I would be happy to call them about applying for membership. The yearly dues for Post 90, St George are $40.00 (membership year is from 7-1-20 thru 6-30-21).
3) Washington County Fair Parade – 7:00pm August 4th (Tuesday). This year the parade will be in Washington City. Parade lineup is from 5:30-6:30pm, Tuesday, August 4th. Line-up will take place at the Washington City Community Center. If you want to be in the parade call Marcia Whitney, 435-668-6626. There is a $200 cash prize for Commissioners Choice Award and Best Themed Award and $100 cash prize for People’s Choice. Sign up by July 31st. 2020 Theme: Better Together AFTER Parade FREE Dance Party. Inflatable’s and Lots of prize giveaway
4) The Washington County Commissioners, Washington County Fair Board and Veterans Coalition of Southern Utah are having a private ceremony honoring the WORLD WAR II Veterans of Washington County on THURSDAY, August 6th at 10:00am MDT in the Harmony Building of Legacy Park, 5500 West 700 South, Hurricane Utah. There are 17 WWII Veterans attending this year.
5) While at the Washington County Fair be sure to visit the WALL OF HONOR. Pictures of Local Veterans will be displayed
6) AMERICAN LEGION booth at the Washington County Fair and is looking for volunteers to come out and help/work on Wednesday, August 5th 6pm-10pm and Thursday, Friday and Saturday August 6,7,8 from 11 AM to 10 PM. Asking for volunteers to work at a 2-3 hour shift due to the heat on those days. REQUESTING the volunteers wear an American Legion shirt if you have one or a shirt with the service you served in along with a hat (ball cap) with your service Or a Vietnam Veteran, Korea, WWII ball cap. Please call Marti 435-668-5770 if you are able to work any of those times as we will need to get parking passes to you. In the booth we will have information on American Legion, Constitution books for sale, poppies for the Auxiliary (donation), tickets for purchase for a metal flag and 100th year large American Legion picture. Jeff McKenna who wrote “Saving Dr. Warren” will be available 6 to 7 PM to sign his book after purchase. Humana will also be joining us this year. Water will be available for sale.